Catch up on the latest Maryland business news.
Maryland business successes:
- Horseshoe Casino opened in Baltimore City with fanfare and the promise of new economic growth. Half of its employees are local residents, according to the Baltimore Business Journal.
- Maryland’s tourism industry may see a higher-than-usual uptick this weekend. AAA Mid-Atlantic estimates that nearly 728,000 Marylanders will travel at least 50 miles away from home this Labor Day holiday, MDBIZ News reports.
- Recently closed deals by the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development have helped create 1,497 jobs and retain 1,214 other positions in July throughout the State, StateStat recorded.
- The State’s largest organic farm will be restored in Anne Arundel County, thanks to a public-private partnership, according to the Capital Gazette.
Maryland business resources:
- Kathleen “Kassie” Lewis, a former State economic development official, has been chosen to head Washington County’s Department of Business Development, according to Herald Mail Media.
- Is your business prepared for an emergency? The Small Business Administration is hosting a series of free webinars on business preparedness planning in September, addressing natural disasters including severe storms, flooding, tornadoes, wildfires and hurricanes, The Star Democrat reports.
- Help train the next generation of Maryland workers by becoming a volunteer speaker in a local school. MDBIZ News explains how to get involved in the Maryland Business Roundtable for Education’s award-winning Maryland Scholars Speakers Bureau and STEM Specialists in the Classroom programs.
- Licensing and registering your Maryland business just got even simpler. Learn more about updates to the State’s Central Business Licensing and Registration Portal on MDBIZ News.